There’s been a lot of media coverage about the spread of Coronavirus, specifically Covid-19. Clients have been discussing this in their site ToolBox talks and offices as well. As a responsible employer and supplier of staff to the construction industries, here’s some key information and our advice.
What is Coronavirus?
First of all: don’t panic. For most people, including children, this is not serious. It is a virus that can cause flu-like symptoms (fever, cough & difficulty breathing), and most people get better with rest, water and medicine for any pain.
How likely are you to catch the virus?
In the UK the chance of being in contact with the virus is currently low. You can only catch the virus if you have been in contact with someone who already has it. If you, or someone you are close to, have recently travelled to areas where many people are/were infected, your chances of catching it are higher.
What to do if you have symptoms:
- Call NHS 111 for advice. Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital
- Keep away from others and stay at home to stop the spread of the virus
Making sure the virus doesn’t spread at work / on site
- If you need to sneeze: Catch it with a tissue, Bin it, Kill it by washing your hands with soap and water
- Wash your hands often: before you leave the house, before cooking or eating, after using the toilet, on arrival at any childcare or educational setting
- When you cough, cover your mouth with a tissue or your sleeve
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
- Don’t share items that come into contact with your mouth e.g. cups, bottles, spoons
- Don’t share bedding, towels, dishes if you are unwell