Following on from a fantastic North West region launch event in November 2016, the NAWIC North West region joined together for the first time in 2017 for Networking Knowhow: a guided networking evening at Christie’s Bistro, University of Manchester. The event was kindly sponsored by Laing O’Rourke – big thanks to them for helping to make the event possible!
We kicked off the night with some welcome drinks before enjoying a panel discussion on ‘The Power of Networking’ followed by guided networking practice. Our panellists ranged across various sectors, with Joanna Booth, Creative Director at Social Media Makes Sense, Margaret Nelson, Reader at The University of Bolton, Gina Groves CBIFM, Workplace & FM Consultant, and Katie Saunders, Partner at Trowers & Hamlins.
Our Marketing Manager and NAWIC Committee member Jennifer Fisher said; "It was great to see so many people at our second event - learning tips and putting them into practice. The volume and atmsosphere was even better than we could have asked for!"
For all those who couldn’t make it, some top tips on the Power of Networking include:
• Network with a buying decision in mind, rather than selling! You're more likely to listen.
• Everyone is worth talking to in the room, and yourself included! Don't be shy.
• Following up after networking can be a key difference in making a mark – share business cards, connect on Linkedin, send a ‘nice to meet you’ email!
• Network at all levels - students today may be chief execs tomorrow! Everyone is worth talking to
• Your time is valuable - if you're stuck in one conversation and you want to meet more people, move on!
• Remember everyone else is winging it too! It's not the end of the world if you say something wrong - it's an icebreaker!
Big thanks to our sponsor Laing O’Rourke, our panellists and all our attendees for supporting our evening. Upcoming 2017 events will include Construction Skills Focus: a CPD Seminar in March, Spring into Schools: a CSR focused site visit in April, as well as others TBC. Look out for upcoming events via the NAWIC website, and make sure to follow news and events from NAWIC on Twitter @NAWICUK. If you're interested in membership or more information about NAWIC events, contact Jennifer at email@example.com