Senior Estimator - Main Contractor
Job DescriptionSenior Estimator, Manchester
£70k - £80k + package
Our client is one of the regions most respected construction companies, operating in the public and private sectors. They offer advice, design, construction, equipment, facilities management and front-line public services.
They are looking to recruit a Senior Estimator covering the North West region of their business. The successful candidate will;
* Have responsibility for the preparation and submission of tenders, under a variety of forms of procurement, typically between £50,000 and £20m in value.
* Be working as part of a team with the objective of securing profitable future workload for the business;
* Utilise construction knowledge and commercial experience in conjunction with other members of the bid team to ensure competitive bids;
* Be responsible for Risk and Value management;
* Be responsible for Preparation of budgets and cost plans;
* Be responsible for Procurement types - traditional, plan and specification, 2 Stage, design and build etc;
* Be responsible for Bid Management on applicable tenders.
Work type: new build and refurbishment; Residential & Education.
* Owner and responsible for all commercial aspects of the tender "estimate";
* Responsibility for supply chain package strategy, management, checking and financial evaluation;
* Arrange and agree PQS appointments for BQ production or check / produce own quants;
* Attend tender launch, mid tender, supply chain, design team, tender settlement meetings. and post tender interviews where appropriate;
* Input into the bid programme;
* Attend site visits;
* Collate benchmarking information/GIFA rates etc where applicable;
* Send out enquiries for all trades and materials to named supply chain members;
* Build up on own rates analytically based upon "labour, plant and materials";
* Carry out financial evaluation of Value Engineering and "optioneering" ideas;
* Produce and own the Bid Opportunity and Risk Register. Ensure contribution from other bid team members;
* Budget/cost planning;
* Pricing of preliminaries in conjunction with operational and planning staff.
* Manage/contribute to the Tender Query process;
* Production of Profit Enhancement Plan;
* Ownership and input into financial element of the tender submission;
* Provide suitable information to Business Development Manager for Salesforce;
* Prepare site team handover pack;
* Not just "Pricing the Job"; look for the commercial edge over the competition - identify and investigate all alternatives/angles/opportunities;
* Provide/present all financial information for Regional adjudications;
* Provide final cost summaries and submitted CSA to the Bid Lead in a timely manner prior to the Regional and/or Group approval and sign off.
Knowledge skills & experience
* Construction/Surveying - HND/Degree or similar;
* Estimating software (currently using Esti-mate / soon to be Conquest);
* Competent use of Microsoft packages e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook;
* Extensive experience of analytical building estimating in all sectors but to include Residential & Education, on projects up to £25 million;
* All forms of contract including traditional, partnering and design & build;
* Experience of using estimating software;
* A well-developed technical construction knowledge;
* Knowledge of current Building Regulations and other industry standards;
* Develop personal skills and capability through on-going training, experience and mentoring.
* Sound technical and commercial abilities incl. stong numerical skills;
* Risk awareness;
* Ability to work as a team member, or on own initiative;
* Ability to communicate effectively;
* Attention to detail;
* Abilty to work to tight deadlines;
* Having a professional approach to work;
* Having a flexible attitude to people;
* Presentation skills;
* Ability to plan and organise;
* Creative and innovative approach to problem solving;