Assistant Site Manager
Job DescriptionMy client are a leading developer delivering major projects throughout the UK. They operate in the student accommodation, highrise residential apartments and new build housing sectors. They are a multi-million pound turnover group and a leader in their sectors of the construction industry.
They now have a prestigious new build student accommodation scheme in Swansea; a £35m, 300 bed scheme, consisting student apartments above a mix of retail and commercial units. Current phases of this project would see a suitable candidate through into late 2023 with future phases highly likely also.
*Please note - following completion of this scheme, candidates need to be open to travel moving forward.*
The scheme is being overseen by a strong team of long-standing operational and commercial staff including a Senior Project Manager, Senior Site Manager, Site Managers and Engineer. They now require an Assistant Site Manager to work within this team to assist the successful delivery of this prestigious scheme.
As a Assistant or Site Manager you will oversee internals or works packages, overseeing relevant subcontractors and ultimately report into the Senior Site and Project Managers. You will be responsible for overseeing internal aspects of this project, ensuring quality & H&S standards are adhered to in conjunction with programme, to ensure successful completion of each floor or block, consecutively.
As such you will be preferably experienced in working on prestigious, city centre schemes of minimum up to £20m, with a focus on maintaining excellent quality and H&S standards. You will have a minimum of 2 years experience operating at such level and on such schemes.
Core Objectives - specific expectations of the Assistant/Site Manager role;
* Manage the build and undertake actions and activities in adherence with regulations, agreed standards and company policies and procedures.
* Work closely with the Contracts / Project Manager to monitor and manage the construction working programme.
* Delegate tasks appropriately taking into account the project requirements, time, resources, personnel and capability.
* Produce and contribute to reports and progress updates in the correct format and in a timely manner.
* Manage subcontractors and communicate instructions / directions in relation to the construction working programme.
* Arrange and attend subcontractor pre-start meetings with Contracts / Project Manager and Quantity Surveyors.
* Study and maintain sight of drawings and plans in order to understand costs and budgets with a view to eliminating or minimising waste.
* Where required, complete requisitions for plant, labour and materials needed for the programme.
* Monitor plant and equipment costs and preliminaries, including set-up cost of plant and office.
* Check and sign for materials delivered to site and identify any problems, errors or other issues. Maintain an accurate record of deliveries.
* Participate in and contribute to Contract Valuation Report (CVR) meetings.
* Maintain effective and timely communications with internal and external stakeholders, including (but not limited to) Directors, Contract / Project Managers / Assistant Site Managers / Quantity Surveyors / Engineers / Subcontractors / Architects / Designers / Planners.
* Arrange and hold meetings with stakeholders (as above) when required and at agreed intervals during the programme.
* Prepare for meetings by collating information, reports, data and other details in order to present an accurate, succinct and supported viewpoint.
* Chair and lead meetings as required (e.g. internal progress meetings).
* Maintain accurate records in relation to the project (e.g. communications, emails, minutes, reports, finances, procurement and commercial etc.)
* Produce method statements and risk assessments as required.
* Work with the Contract / Project Manager and Quantity Surveyor to produce appropriate communications and correspondence and maintain a filing system.
* Liaise with quantity surveyors and subcontractors to identify, as early as possible, damages and time loss. Escalate and report these issues appropriately in line with agreed reporting lines and procedures.
* Produce short-term programmes that sit appropriately within the main programme. Share these appropriately, provide guidance, explanations and instructions to enact the plan.
* Assist with the Construction Phase Health & Safety Plan (CPHSP) and Site Security Protocol.
* Undertake quality assurance checks and take appropriate, timely actions to address any issues that are identified.
* Manage the preparation of the site for air testing in accordance with building regulations.
* Set up and maintain adequate welfare site boundaries including traffic management.
* Undertake appropriate checks and inspections (e.g. machinery, plant, scaffolding, excavation) in relation to health and safety to ensure that working practices and the working environment are in compliance with legislation, regulations, policies and procedures.
* Complete and update weekly registers in relation to checks and inspections, including (but not limited to) safety inspections material requisitions, personal protective equipment, permit to dig, HOT works permit etc.)
* Record and take suitable actions to prevent recurrence of accidents and incidents on site, in line with health and safety procedures.
* Contribute to creating a pleasant working environment where people feel motivated in their work, with good morale and productive working relationships.
* Contribute to and undertake actions in relation to Considerate Constructors, building and maintaining good relationships with neighbours and the public.
* Manage information for BREEAM requirements.
* Ensure suitable RAMS are prepared, in place and reviewed.
* Deliver inductions and Toolbox Talks to site operatives as required.
* Manage people resources appropriately to ensure that the project is staffed correctly with suitably trained and qualified people.
* Follow reasonable management instructions as required.
Knowledge, skills and experience required:
* NVQ Level 3, 'A' Level, HNC, or equivalent qualifications or equivalent experience
* Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word & Excel
* SMSTS certificate
* First Aid certificate
* Scaffolding certificate
* CSCS Card
* Good communication skills
* Assertive and strong persuasion skills
Remuneration & benefits package;
* This role attracts a competitive and negotiable basic salary of between £33,000 & £40,000 (dependant upon experience) and in addition a full benefits package including company car or allowance, medicash scheme, excellent pension scheme, 25 days of annual leave + bank holidays, company bonus