Buyer - House Builder
Job DescriptionOur client is a National House Builder that is currently developing hundreds of sites across the UK.
The design and construction blend tradition and innovation, creating homes and developments with contemporary living standards. Their product range includes one-bedroom apartments through to larger five-bedroom family homes.
They currently have a great opportunity for a Buyer or Managing Buyer for their Regional Office in Warrington. As Buyer, you will ensure the efficient running of the materials purchasing function and co-ordinate with other departments to ensure financial control of all materials purchased for building operations. This must be within full compliance of the Best Practice procedures and the Company's Health, Safety & Environmental Policies.
What we would like from you:
Key Responsibilities -
* Ensure all materials are delivered to sites in line with current build programmes, specification and are purchased at competitive prices in line with the company's group & regional deals where applicable.
* Ensure the procurement of all sites/buying phases are continually monitored against budget.
* Maintain an up to date library of standard house type material schedules.
* Produce accurate site-specific material schedules and process material orders.
* Monitor material order values against budget values and address large variations with the Regional Commercial Manager / Commercial Director.
* Ensure the tender process is adhered to for all new sites/phases in line with the regions tendering/procurement policy.
* Continually monitor price agreements to ensure they always remain competitive.
* Continually monitor supplier performance and hold regular meetings with main suppliers.
* Place orders for key showhome materials before pre-start meetings if required to meet showhouse programme dates.
* Process site purchase orders for replacement materials and produce monthly reports detailing expenditure.
* Continually research new products.
* Ensure the invoice checking procedure is being carried out and where necessary negotiate credits.
* Monitor the goods received sheets and liaise with build and site managers to ensure correct completion procedures are maintained.
* Complete stock valuation exercised as required during the year.
* Continually monitor material lead times, keeping build and site managers informed, instigate forward material allocation when necessary.
* Manage site call-offs and carry out regular stock takes to ensure site stocks remain cost effective.
* Maintain general specification for the regions housing range and ensure compliance with divisional general specification.
* Manage all amendments to specification as and when required.
* Monitor plant levels and ensure it is off lined when no longer needed.
* Produce site specific material schedules.
* Ensure the material database is kept up to date.
* Ensure material tender lists are prepared in conjunction with the build department, and to the approval of the Regional Commercial Manager / Commercial Director
* Ensure tenders are checked and comply with site specification and current trade specifications, and the tender drawings for the site include the standard details.
* Produce reports comparing tender prices obtained, and an analysis of how they compare to the viability.
* Ensure all material orders are processed correctly and efficiently.
* Ensure copies of approved material tenders lists, authorised tender enquiry summaries and cost valuation reports are kept on record.
* Ensure company procedures are followed with regard to the termination of any material suppliers and seek to replace with an alternative material supplier within budgetary levels.
* Provide support to junior buyers and ensure the efficient running of the buying team.
* Ensure you keep up to date with legislation changes and attend training and technical training as when require by the Company.
* Attend departmental meetings as required.
* Maintain open lines of communication with colleagues in other regions.
* Ensure all relevant stakeholders are informed of key departmental developments.
* HNC / ONC in Construction or similar
* At least 2 / 3 experience working within a residential house builder as a materials buyer
* Experience maybe gained from a similar position or promotion
* A good understanding or building regulations and legal obligations
* A good knowledge or construction methods and materials
* Strong mathematical and IT ability
* Ability to assess and analyse information
* Good business sense
* Good understanding of budget management
* Negotiating and networking skills
* Excellent communications skills
* Able to work under pressure, and accept criticism of work
* Good team working skills
* Accurate with an eye for detail
* Behave in line with our values
* Willing to work extra to meet deadlines as and when the business needs require it
* Degree in Construction or similar, or,
* HNC / ONC in Construction or similar
* Member of the Chartered Institute of Building, or working towards full membership, or,
* Working towards being a chartered member of the Institute of Purchasing & Supply (CIPS)
* Understanding of changes to regulations and legislation
What's on offer…
* Competitive salary and package
* 28 days' annual leave plus bank holidays, and the option to buy or sell up to 5 days per annum
* Private Healthcare
* Company Contributory Pension Scheme
* Company car, car allowance or travel allowance (role and geographic dependant)