Quantity Surveyor - House Builder / Developer
Job DescriptionOur client is an established property developer with over 20 years' experience in delivering residential and commercial development projects right across the UK.
In 2021 the group will deliver in excess of £20m of traditional developments.
Our Commercial Function
Commercial Team deals with everything to do with cost-effective building, including quantity surveying, estimating, procurement and material buying.
With a watching brief on choice of material, cost, customer satisfaction and sales, and other critical issues, our Commercial team has one objective: to deliver best quality homes, at the best possible cost. Their work is fundamental to our continued viability as a business and presents a fast-moving challenge that will exercise your creativity and commercial flair to the full.
Reporting to the Directors, you will be responsible for the commercial and surveying responsibilities for a range of traditional and modular developments. Effectively manage costs for the site, and ensure targets are met by managing and controlling the budget and valuations, including monthly updating of the estimated final costs, show absolute cost and value reconciliation. Responsible for managing all sub-contractor procedures and processes, and materials and goods if necessary, whilst always ensuring compliance with Group Policies and Procedures. Value engineer all trades, ensuring that we are always one step ahead of the market.
You will be expected to:
* Maintain all cost control procedures, and working within the guidelines set out within the Group policies and procedures
* Be responsible for the compilation of all weekly, monthly and quarterly reports as required. Be aware of new materials and methods of construction which the company may employ, as well as a sound knowledge of latest regulations, codes of practise and NHBC requirements
* Be responsible for all cost control procedures, including managing and controlling the budget and valuations by always updating the estimated final costs, and having the ability to show absolute cost and value reconciliation
* Contribute to the conceptual designs/options to ensure the design is kept within the budgeted values
* Compile development forecasts, liaising with all Departments to ensure document is completed on time to allow the construction to commence, and Sales to start marketing
* Lead the value engineering, including updating Group and Regional site review documents, to ensure we achieve best value
* Maintain budget control throughout development; and manage cost overruns within contingency levels
* Complete accurate costing for each aspect of site development
* Analyse and report on costs and cash flow using the support systems available
* Prepare tenders and procure sub-contractors, goods and materials, using Group Procedures
* Compile subcontractor recommendations for approval
* Process Subcontract orders, payments and variations, using Excel and Group payment systems in line with Group policy and procedures
* Evaluate and agree variations and instructions, always aware of budgetary constraints, and ensuring that approval is obtained prior to agreement of variations in excess of the respective allowances
* Be aware of new materials and methods of construction which the business may employ
* Liaise with site personnel and subcontractors in order to maximise productivity
* Attend all project and team meetings as required, and present the Commercial position to the meeting
* Compile and Present valuations at review meetings
* Be responsible for accurately controlling all commercial aspects and responsibilities
* Be aware of all codes of practice that impact on estimating e.g. Building Regulations, NHBC requirements, HSE, Code for Sustainable Homes etc.
* Complete any other duties as required by the Senior/Managing Surveyor/Commercial Manager
* Promote and act in accordance with Group values, systems, policies and procedures
* Ensure compliance with Group IT systems