Trainee Quantity Surveyor
Job DescriptionOur client is a leading PLC Major Building Contractor who undertakes projects up to £200m in Build Value. Their work is fundamental to our continued viability as a business and presents a fast-moving challenge that will exercise your creativity and commercial flair to the full.
Reporting to the Quantity Surveyor/Senior Quantity Surveyor/Chief Surveyor, you will Assist with commercial and surveying responsibilities for a Site. Assist in compiling all necessary reports and schedules as required, and undertake all general commercial administrative duties, including filing, emails, chasing down emails and phone calls, and ensuring a general tidiness to Commercial presentation.
A keen learner, willing to assist with all sub-contractor procedures and processes.
You will be expected to:
* Assist with updating all cost control procedures as advised, and working within the guidelines set out within the Group policies and procedures
* Assist with the compilation of all weekly, monthly and quarterly reports as required. Responsible for general departmental administration
* Assist with accurate costing for each aspect of site development
* Assist with compiling reports on costs and cash flows using the support systems available, as well as reports for the Division as required
* Assist with preparation of tenders and procurement of sub-contractors using Group Tender procedures
* Process Subcontract orders, payments and variations
* Understand and assist with evaluation and agreement of variations and instructions for smaller trades
* Attend team meetings as required
* Complete general departmental administration
* Provide other appropriate ad hoc duties, and administrative support as and when required
* Maintain relevant filing systems and databases
* Promote and act in accordance with Group values, systems, policies and procedures
What you'll need?
To be successful in the role, we are looking for:
* Must show a willingness to study for surveying and be on HNC or equivalent Construction qualification
* Must carry a valid CSCS card
* Highly numerate with excellent attention to detail, able to gather, interpret and present data to facilitate preparation of budgets and subsequent valuations
* Methodical, conscientious and organised, works to deliver high standards
* Intermediate to advanced level of proficiency with MS Office and Excel programs and a good standard of written English. Ability to generate professional correspondence unaided.
* Articulate, clear and credible, and able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
* Able to work on own initiative
* Strong communication skills, with the ability to build effective working relationships both internally and externally
* Self-disciplined, with demonstrably good time management skills and the ability to manage a number of priorities
* Ability to multi-task, and work efficiently and accurately
Our Company and Benefits
Our client is nationally recognised as a Major PLC Contractor. They want the best people in the industry to help them shape the future of building. We have tailored opportunities for apprentices, graduates, experienced professionals help them stay one step ahead, and build Construction that Britain needs. They are building an organisation where anyone with drive and talent can pursue the career they want.
As part of working for the company our client will offer:
* Competitive Salary
* 25 days holiday
* Choice of Flexible Benefits
* Enhanced Family Friendly Policies